Wednesday, May 30, 2012

May 25th and Radio Programs


Alfajores that I brought back from the North
Beef stew stuff that was for dinner one
night
Asado, including baked potatoes wrapped in tin foil, like
how you cook them over a campfire, and yummy
shishkabobs
Life has pretty much gone back to normal since I got back from my trip to the North. I gave my family the little gifts that I got them, like bracelets for my two sisters, a t shirt for my brother, and magnets and alfajores for my parents/the whole family. It was also May 25th recently, which is the anniversary of the Revolución de Mayo, which was the first revolution against Spanish rule in 1810 (they actually recieved their independence on July 9 of the same year--fastest revolution ever--from Napoleon trying to tick Spain off when he conquered the country by giving away all its colonies) and focused on the idea of an assembly where anyone could speak, not just certain representatives. For the 25th, everyone wore little Argentine flag pins, as shown below, and my Senior class in school had a bake sale to try to raise money for some trips they are doing later this year. There were lots of different kinds of cakes, and lots with dulce de leche in some form, as well as alfajores, but Lu and I made scones, which are also pretty common here. Also this week, I got together with some friends and we decided to call a local radio station because we could win a t shirt. They had me call, and I actually won the t shirt, and went down to the studio to meet the DJ. He was really excited to meet a foreigner because there aren´t a lot of us here, and interviewed me for maybe twenty minutes. I recorded a promo for the station, saying my name, where I was from, and how much I love the station. The DJ, who has no hair by choice, but whom everyone still calls baldie, invited my friends and me to a dinner with the radio station, free of charge, at a popular restaurant in a couple weeks. It was all very neat!
Pins of the Argentine flag for
May 25
Lu making scones
Ice cream!






Our scones with a blue and white ribbon
and yellow wrapping, with the colors
of the Argentine flag

Bake Sale!

Everyone who managed to show up on a very cold,
early morning, for the bake sale

The DJ and I

Fried egg pizza--yes, such a thing does exist. And yes,
we do eat it.

Neopolitan pizza= green olives, variety of cheeses, oregano, ham
and bacon

Apple cake!

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! I am impressed! I wish I could hear your radio promo. I also wish I could shop at your bake sale. I hope you will bring home recipes for some of the delicious new foods you are trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool beans, Sadie!
    Here is a link to KRCL radio in Utah, http://www.krcl.org. Maybe they will think it is interesting or maybe just weird. I want to have a slice of the egg pizza. Is it really as good as Italian or American pizza?

    ReplyDelete